Joseph Lubin, Ethereum co-founder and Consensys Inc. chief executive officer, discusses swings in the cryptocurrency market and how volatility can help business. He speaks with Bloomberg’s Erik Schatzker on “Bloomberg Markets.”
As of July 2018, ConsenSys has more than 900 employees, and consists of 48 spokes. ConsenSys is developing a variety of applications which operate on the global distributed computing platform. The office is located in an old industrial building in Bushwick, Brooklyn and was described by The New York Times as “essentially one large room, with all the messy trademarks of a start-up operation, including white boards on the walls and computer parts lying around.”
The company’s focus is on facilitating the empowerment of people and enabling decentralized governance through the development of software tools that devolve power from the traditional “command and control hierarchies inappropriate for a networked world.”
As a dedicated venture studio, ConsenSys is actively involved in numerous projects and initiatives.
- BTC Relay uses the smart contract functionality in Ethereum to allow people to verify Bitcoin transactions from Ethereum’s Blockchain.
- Ether.camp which is an Ethereum blockchain explorer.
- Blockapps Strato which is a partnership with Microsoft Azure to build industry-specific blockchain (database) applications.
- TransActive Grid is a joint venture with LO3 Energy which proposes to allow peer-to-peer electricity sales
- Ujo Music. Imogen Heap used the technology to release her single Tiny Human.
- uPort is an Ethereum blockchain-based identity management system.
- The company is working with John Hancock Insurance on their LOFT project.
- DAOWars is a project where human players design autonomous agents to outfight and outwit other agents created by competitors
- GroupGnosis is a platform for prediction markets
- EtherSign is a cryptographic tool for managing and signing documents
- Blockstack Labs is a project with Microsoft to address human rights issues by creating identity systems on the blockchain.
- INFURA provides a scalable, standards-based, globally distributed cluster and API endpoint for Ethereum, IPFS, and other emerging decentralization infrastructure.
- Gitcoin uses ETH/ERC20 tips and bounties to incentivize work in Open Source Software; with the stated mission to “Grow Open Source”
- Token Foundry is the global platform for well-structured tokens and token-powered networks.
- MineraC a mining based consortium to revolutionise the way commodities are traded. 
- OpenLaw enables lawyers to create, store, and execute legal agreements that interact with blockchain-based smart contracts.